Council Meeting Summaries
If you like the more nitty-gritty stuff, take a look at our recent Council Meeting Summaries that highlight the most important decisions that the Council has made.
HIGHLIGHTS OF the AUGUST 2022 COUNCIL MEETING
- The AED machine, generously donated by Joan & Bill Berresford, has arrived. It will be installed soon in the hallway from the narthex to Miller Hall. Training is being arranged.
- There is a St Afterschool kickoff meeting Sept 14 and the program starts on Sept 22. We have 8 volunteers plus 3 backups. We can accommodate 15-20 kids because we have so many volunteers. The congregation has done a remarkable job responding to our request for new toys and supplies.
- Council approved monetary donations be sent to Lutheran Senior Life and to Lutheran Disaster Response Fund.
- Treasurer reported church financial information has been included in the July and August newsletters, updating the congregation of our mid-year financials. A Temple Talk will also be done in September. The surplus that St John's had at the beginning of the year has been decreasing steadily all year, meaning we are into deficit spending.
- Two baptisms and a funeral were performed at St John's in July.
- Eight new members will join St John's in the fall. In preparation, three "new member" sessions were held that included getting to know each other, a tour of the building, identifying gifts we have for service, understanding Lutheranism, and selecting membership sponsors.
- Beginning Sept 11, Pr Kimberly will lead the Coffee and Conversation (adult Sunday school) in a program called “Women in the Bible”.
- Vacation Bible School was held jointly with Linway Presbyterian Church (across Rt 30 from St John's) and several members of St John's participated.
- St John's again participated in the McKeesport International Village Day for Kids. We had a booth and the kids enjoyed the activities.
- Sept 11 marks the restarting of Sunday school for both adults and children. The first day of Sunday begins with making cookies to be given to our local First Responders. Sept 11 also marks the move of the starting time of Worship service to 10:45 am. There will also be a Blessing of the Backpacks on Sept 11.
- We continued to research upgrading our sound system in the church as well as the telephone system.
- Rise Against Hunger will be held on Sept 10 in Miller Hall. Everyone is welcome to participate!
- Mission Outreach and Stewardship committees are teaming together to host a Fall Soup Sale.